Sunday, June 8, 2008

my sunday




I've been wanting to do this trip for weeks, so this morning I tried it -- hiking up past the tram to Gold Ridge, past Gastineau Peak, and over Mount Roberts to Sheep Mountain, then skiing down to the Perseverence Trail. I made it to Roberts but ended up in blinding clouds and, believe it or not, light snow. I turned around after starting down the wrong ridge because I couldn't see anything. When I could see the ridge toward Sheep, it was narrow, scary, and covered in cracked cornices. I ended up skiing down from Gastineau to the trail through Icy Gulch, which was filled with the snow of many avalanches. Toward the bottom, a sizable stream flowed under the snow and popped out where there were holes.

3 comments:

Jill Homer said...

Wow! How was the climb up? Did you need crampons?

stefan said...

hey, thanks for reading! and for your blog -- a consistent motivator. i probably could have used crampons, but hiking boots worked just fine, and i saw more of the summer trail than i ever have or expected to. the turn around spot at the top of roberts was sketchy by any measure, and i'm not sure crampons would have helped. clear skies and more time might have...

Ian said...

Nice Marmot.