Thursday, July 22, 2010

moto

It's a sorry indication of my fitness that my outdoor adventures now come atop a 650cc dirt bike. But then there's nothing really to complain about. Last night, after a long day of rain, the sun came out under giant picture clouds. I motored up Murphy Dome on the old road, turned to slippery mud from the rain. A cloud blew through the trees over the road. I bumped over rocks on a trail to the summit. At the top, maybe 10 o'clock at night, the sun was setting over mountains to the west and north. Cottongrass, Labrador tea, blueberries, dwarf fireweed. A fox scurried down the 4-wheeler trail in front of me. I rode back down the mountain, the air cooling, humid enough to fog my visor and mirrors. I passed the turn to my house and kept riding, to catch just a little more of this late, golden summer sunset that will last only so long.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the perspective in this shot- you caught the mood of the sky in a backward glance.

With the July we've been having, one can only hope August will bring nothing but sun, sun, sun. Who am I kidding, right? :)

Anonymous said...

So you bought a motorbike. Yes?

Anonymous said...

How european of you