Thursday, December 13, 2007

ak in the news: duck hunting and sun dresses

OK, I'm back. I had a few days off from work and flew 4,000 miles back to Massachusetts to see my mother and sister. There was a snow day when I was there, but from ice rather than snow. I thought back nostalgically when we had snow days from snow, and it seems those aren't gone completely. The East is getting dumped on now, and western Mass already has a foot.
I missed the Northern Alaska Environmental Center's protest "plunge" down a ski hill (pictured here), which didn't have great turnout but did make an AP story that ran around the world.
The NY Times had a good multi-media piece on observed changes in Missouri duck hunting, which had lots of voices from wildlife managers and hunters themselves.
National Geographic had some pretty amazing pics of permafrost.
And the AP wrote a story on sea ice, quoting the oft quoted and quotable Mark Serreze, and with the alarming premise that summer sea ice could be nearly gone by 2012.

No comments: