Monday, November 12, 2007

moose mountain triathlon


I had a mini-adventure yesterday involving the mountain bike, an unopened ski area, and my "white rocket" military surplus/telemark skis. There was a picture in my paper last week of a couple hiking up our local slope, so I figured this was something people did. Not really. I think theirs must have been the only tracks I saw. There was so little snow you could pick cranberries through it on the way up.
I figured if I had to hike anyway, I would make the whole thing human-powered. I rode the 10 miles or so to the mountain, (switched to the hiking boots,) hiked up, (switched to the tele boots,) skied down, (put the bike shoes back on,) and rode home. I say "mini-adventure" because doing anything outside for 4 hours when it's 10 degrees is an adventure as far as I'm concerned. And yes, I did wear the bike helmet on the ski down.

No comments: