Sunday, April 8, 2007

the accidental naturalist

Welcome to the accidental naturalist, which I've named not after myself but a man I met near Portland, Maine, who works as a metalsmith, lives in the house where he was born, and heats his workshop with the heat of the sun and a big pile of rocks. He raises cattle, even though he hardly makes money from it, keeps bees for honey, and uses a small second-hand wind turbine to power his little farm. He rarely if ever travels and, when I knew him a few years ago, was in the habit of sleeping in an Appalachian Trail style lean-to he built for himself in his own backwoods.
When I knew him, his life seemed oddly, comically, and completely accidentally to light a path toward something like environmental sustainability. I imagine it still does.
I'm in Alaska now, and my goal with the accidental naturalist is to provide a useful and thoughtful take on how climate change is changing America's Last Frontier and what the state is -- and isn't -- doing about it.
This blog takes it as fact, or something like it, that human activities are increasing greenhouse gases and driving most of the experienced and projected changes in the climate. That's the understanding of the United Nations, the Environmental Protection Agency, the New York Times, and Arnold Schwarzenegger, so who am I to second guess?
The picture is of me, in Juneau.
If you have want to reach me for any reason, e-mail me at stefanbusiness@gmail.com.

2 comments:

Anne Marie said...

Hi Stefan,
I discovered your blog through "Google Alerts." I had typed in "Governor Palin Sub-Cabinet on Climate Change" to help me keep up with what this group is doing (or not doing). I am involved with the Homer Global Warming Task Force, which is preparing a climate action plan to present to the City Council. I can see that your blog will be a good resource. (And I love the photos!)
Best wishes,
Anne Marie Holen

Greg LaFata said...

Stefan...just wanted to give you the heads up that I recently highlighted your blog in my blog...as we both consider oursleves Accidental Naturalists. Hope you don't mind the attention:)

http://accidentalnaturalist.blogspot.com/2011/05/celebrating-accidental.html